Add eye catching color into product photography
Often times, a white background may just be too boring for the product you want to showcase. Adding a colorful background may significantly improve perceived value of your goods.
Below is the product without any editing.
A few simple steps in editing, we can achieve the final results below.
Things I have modified from original shots:
1. Reposition products to maximize space.
2. Use Pen Tool to make a cutout path of products for generating shadow layer later, and make a duplicate layer of the product cut out shot (Box Blur Shadow Layer).
3. Make a new orange background layer(BG Color Layer).
4. Add vignetting effect around the edges by boosting the contrast and then lowering lightness on a new duplicated orange background layer(BG Vignetting Layer).
5. Add box blur effect and free transform the Box Blur Shadow Layer to make it look appealing.
6. Merge layers, resize and sharpen to save for web dispaly.
– Then you are done!
Below is a screenshot of layers I’ve created for this project.
I have just completed a more complex project using the same technique, in this project, I have added reflection effect to each product, as well as a black fill which made subject look like they are sitting on colored glass with special lighting, all done in Photoshop. You can compare the before and after results below. I would say that the single most time consuming part of this project is path cutting of products with intricate details. The background and reflection effects are really easy to apply.